Monday, February 16, 2009

Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad Recipe (from Simply Recipes)

I took this salad to my church's potluck yesterday. It recieved many praises. Elijah was especially proud as he was the one who made the dressing (He even followed the recipe and measured out the ingredients himself!).

Napa Cabbage Picnic Salad

2/3c. slivered almonds
8c. (1lb) coarsely shredded napa cabbage (one big head)
12 oz snow peas, strings removed, rinsed and thinly sliced (sometimes I leave this out)
1 1/3 c. thinly sliced radishes (one bunch)
1 1/3 c. thinly sliced green onions (one bunch)
1 1/3 c. lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves (one bunch)

Dressing ingredients:

3 T rice vinegar
2 T sugar
2 T soy sauce (sometimes I use Tamari)
1 clove peeled and minced garlic
1/2 t sesame oil
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t cayenne powder (I have been leaving this out because I keep forgetting that I am out of it)
1 c. mayonnaise

1. Toast the almonds. (on baking sheet, at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.) Set aside.

2. Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients, in order.

4. When ready to serve, combine salad, dressing, and almonds.

Serves 14-16. (side dish portions...probably would serve about 6-8 for dinner....just add some chicken and call it a day!)

2 comments:

  1. That was really good Salad!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angie and Elijah for the yummy salad! I went to Winco yesterday and remembered everything you said except for the snow peas..:) We are having it this week- I loved your 25 random list...I didn't know you were an Agatha Christi fan..interesting.

    Hope you all have a good week. Gotta love this sunshine!


    Lisa P.

    ReplyDelete